Old 07-13-15, 05:06 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Total Lack of Dynamo Lights (and information) in the US

I'm going to be buying a dynamo hub soon. (Yay) However, I've found there is a total lack of dynamo light information online.

You can search for "Best bike lights" online and get 5-10 sites ranking the best battery powered lights by every different benchmark imaginable. However, that is not available for dynamo lights. Sure, there's the peter white site, but it's a bit scattered.

I've looked for the past few hours. I've found a few good lights. I've found a few good circuits for using battery lights with dynamos. But, I've learned that it's almost always easier (and cheaper) to buy something that'll do the job.

What I want in a dynamo light is this.
  • Light at least matching my BT-10, 350 lumens.
  • Standby light.
  • (Maybe) A usb port?

I've found the AXA Luxx 70, which has all of my features. I think. For some stupid reason, dynamo lights are measured in lux while battery powered lights are measured in lumens...

Anyway. The USB port is optional, but it's something that'd be great. Not only could I charge my phone if I forget to charge it at night, but I could also charge my battery powered lights. That way I always have a backup light if I need it. Heck, this light says it'll provide 5V at .5A, which is enough to power my BT-10 (maybe not at max brightness of course.)

Are there any other options like the Luxx 70?
I'm looking to spend ~$100 on a dynamo light. I can find the Luxx 70 for around 66 euro.

One last problem that I have is that the Luxx 70 isn't really available (without paying a premium) in the US. LUCKILY, I'm headed to the UK in 2 weeks, so I can buy whatever I want over there and bring it home.

Last edited by corrado33; 07-13-15 at 05:10 PM.