View Single Post
Old 11-13-05, 04:20 PM
ghettocruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ranger
Poppin wheelies on an icerink, to be more specific. I don't put a lot of cred on that test.
Ha ha, one of my favourite winter activities, actually.

In general I liked the fact that someone actually did some kind of test. And remember that pinkbike is mostly a freeride website, so most of the characters there who purchase studded tires are going to look for the nearest ice-covered object to ride on other than a road.

That said, I personally didn't think that some parts of the test made much sense. They say the price of the Schwalbe tire at $97.00 kept it from being third best, but the number one spot is occupied by a tire that cost $125.00.

I sort of question the results too. I've used both the Schwalbe and the top two Nokians, and I think on ice the Schwalbe holds better than either of them. The steel studs are sharper and a bit longer then the carbide tips. They do, of course, wear out faster, but that wasn't supposed to be a factor in this test, it seemed. I agree that the Nokians are a better value in the long run, but the test didn’t explain that rational very well.

And although they were all on freeride bikes, no nokian freddie's revenge? I hear a new version of the that tire with (slightly) smaller studs is now available, although I have no idea where one would buy it.