SurlyLHT26in08
Banned.

Bikes: Surly LHT 26in 52cm 2008

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bokkie
Well, I got my Gemini 1000 on Sunday. I took it for its first ride on Monday morning. Nothing strenuous, just a sort of father-child bonding experience.

I figured that there was a lot to learn about this bike, like getting used to the gear changes, the disc brakes, fine-tuning the front and rear shocks, and so on. I decided to eliminate the Eggbeaters for the time being, as I wanted to use a cleat-***-platform for the early days while I get used to things. I put back on the Shimano PD-M545 pedals that came with the bike.

25 mins later I fall off the bike while at a standstill because I could not get my right foot out of the clip.

I tried adjusting the clip from one extreme to the other, and still it locks tight on the shoe. Even though I'm using new shoes, there is plenty of free space around the cleat so clearance is not a problem. Do you think this is a dangerous pedal to use? It's almost as if the cleat gets really stuck in the clip.

I'm of the impression that a pedal is either a pure clip or a pure platform, and anything inbetween is a compromise? It seems the cage around the clip is removable so I'll see if that makes a difference. Maybe the clip is too new and too 'sharp' in places but I really thought is should release cleanly even on it's loosest adjustment?

Fortunately, the bike was not damaged (father protected his child) very well

Seconds later, a car passed by. If I'd fallen off then I might have suffered serious injury. A close shave. Any ideas?

Did you use the Shimano SH-51 Single Releace Cleat? and Best to use the Shimano SH-56 Multi-Release Cleat?

I am going use the Shimano PD-M545 Platform Pedal with DH SPD Shoes I am using Teva Pivot SPD Shoes and Fivetan Maltese Falcon SPD Shoes I have not used them yet but from 4-1998 11-1998 I used them with SH-51 Cleat fall over and then I used SH-56 Multi did ok and Since 3-2005 I also use Sun-Ringle ZUZU Pedals and going to DMR Vault Brendog Platform Pedals for Bike Touring and Bug Out Bicycle my Surly LHT 26in 52cm 2008

Last edited by SurlyLHT26in08; 07-27-15 at 01:15 PM.