Old 08-06-15, 01:11 PM
failo

Bikes: Dahon Silvertip, Respect Mini Velo, Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerwannabe
I am been pouring over the thousands of posts on this site. (it is both amazing and overwhelming!)

I think I have narrowed my search to these bikes:
Downtube NOVA (<$300)
Origami Crane ($400)
But would also consider
Dahon Mariner D7 ($570) and perhaps the Tern C7 or Tern D8 special (<600)

I cannot find any folders at LBS. Craigslist seems to be mostly expensive (used Brompton for $1400) or super cheap junk ($150 no name), so I am resigned to buying online - with option to return if needed.

I already own Trek road bike and a Cannondale hybrid for home use. This bike would strictly be for camping trips (my retirement goal is a cross country camper trip...god willing). Bonus points for the least weigh and smallest fold of the above bike choices, as I will need to fit 2 in the tow vehicle.

I plan to ride road or rails to trails - no mountain or "off road" biking. I don't plan to upgrade this bike - just want to unfold it and ride it!

Is there any reason to buy anything other than the NOVA? (the least expensive)

(From reading these posts is appears that once upon a time the Crane was cheaper than the NOVA - but not anymore. Is it worth the upcharge? and if so - why?)
They sell the Crane at Sportsauthority.com and there is currently a 20% promotion, so that it works out to $343 before tax right now.