Sheldon Brown
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
I'm considering switching one of the old ten-speeds I have lying in the shed at my parent's house to a three-speed S-A AW set-up this winter. It should be cheap, relatively simple and give me a nice winter project. The number-one concern before starting this project, however, is whether the hub will fit! So!

1. What is the O.L.D. spacing on the Sturmey-Archer AW. The hub I am using is actually a Sears Three-Speed (Hub Model 503.21), but to the best of my knowledge, this hub is an exact copy of the S-A AW, with some minor cosmetic differences on the hub shell. The hub is also stamped with a 66. It is currently installed on my rapidly-disintegrating Sears Austrian 3-speed (the beater I am looking to replace).

2. If the spacing on the hub isn't 120mm (the spacing on my old ten-speed frames), how easy will it be to make it fit? I am willing to entertain the notion of cold-setting, but would prefer to avoid it if possible. An axle replacement is also something I would consider, but again would prefer to avoid. However, if either of these are what stands in my way, I'll definitely do it - I'm excited to try this out.
Most Sturmey-Archer hub installations are around 114 mm spacing.

The axles generally came in either short (5 3/4") or long (6 1/4") sizes. The longer size will generally work on a 120 mm frame, just add enough spacer washers to fill up the space.

Beyond 120, with typical 6 mm thick dropouts, it gets pretty dodgy.

If you don't already have them, you should pick up a pair of the HMW494 axle washers designed to fit the wider dropout slots.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/sturmey.html#19

Sheldon "Epicyclic" Brown
Code:
+------------------------------------------------+
|  If you don't want your message to get to me,  |
|   insert **NO-SPAM** into my email address.    |
+------------------------------------------------+