Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by AstroEng
This is the only place I've been able to find this. Everything else is about overworking and getting cramps while riding, not getting cramps because I didn't ride. I ride cramp free all year long, then if I miss 4 or so days, my legs start getting random cramps without any real exertion (think typical lazy weekend). I wonder if I am just pumping out the bad the rest of the time and not getting cramps, but when I stop that pumping it builds up and hurts. Rhabdomyolysis doesn't sound like what I based on the other symptoms, but the idea that it is caused by the breakdown of the muscles (like not using them for a period) makes sense. I guess I need to get that checked just in case (sounds pretty scary).

DOMS most definitely doesn't fit the bill unless somehow my riding hold it at bay for months at a time until I take a vacation... That doesn't make sense. Like I said, I do 80-100 miles a week, biking every work day, all year.
This is typical ideopathic cramping. My guess is that it's a circulation or electrolyte thing. Circulation because that's less when you're not riding. Electrolyte because . . . Anyway, take a Tums and an electrolyte pill or try a cal/mag cap or sometimes one then the other. Gotta experiment.