Old 08-31-15, 10:59 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Be careful about trying to compromise too much. Trying to find a bike that will do too many things will likely insure that it does none very well. In my younger days I raced cars and motorcycles (and bicycles). The cars I used for transportation were vastly different than the ones I raced. A hybrid would have been uncomfortable and unsuitable for transportation (harsh suspension, uncomfortable seat, no place to carry anything, no protection from elements) and would not have been fun for racing. Same for motorcycles. Same for bicycles.

Club rides vary quite a bit. I use to ride with two very different groups; one a moderate pace (13 mph) group that toured through communities and villages and stopped for beer and typically did about 25 miles (though occasional longer rides of 50 - 70), the other more fitness focused with speeds of about 15 - 25 mph (typically each ride broken in to two or three groups based on speed) with ride lengths of 25 to 70 miles. An Dutch opafiets was perfect for the first, no way for the second. A carbon fiber road bike was perfect for the second, uncomfortable and not very appropriate for the first. I stopped riding with the fitness groups because they were mostly a bunch of jerks who had little consideration for other road users and did more to anger people against cyclists than anything positive. Still ride with the first group.