Old 09-04-15, 03:51 PM
mzu2006

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Here is the map of what I rode: 2015 Annual ride - A bike ride in Gaithersburg, MD (I had to interrupt the tour a bit early). Some detours I took (Lurray and Shepherdstown) are not shown. Couple comments for anyone going to repeat that:
1. Stretch on 340 (miles 80 - 88) is rather unpleasant due to a lot of traffic and almost absent shoulders.
2. Route 33 (miles 158 - 162.5) is a significant descent on a winding road together with heavy trucks and all other traffic. But for the most of the descent rather wide shoulder is available. Check your brakes before attempting the descent!
3. Do not attempt the "shortcut" road on milepost 162 before reaching Lydia, VA. There might have been a road once, but now it is ovegrown with 5-6 feet vegetation with sharp thorns, the wooden bridge over Swift Run is in the bad shape, and it finally leads you in somebodies backyard, instead of being a shortcut to rt. 634.
Otherwise, a very pleasant ride, beautiful views, and last but not least: plenty of exciting people to meet on the way.