Old 11-18-05, 02:39 PM
crash66
Lucky 47

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Allez Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Existing headset cap incompatible with new stem??

I have an '05 Specialized Allez Elite. Wanted to swap the Specialized house-brand stem out for an Easton EA70, but it seems the top cap (right name?) on the headset is far too broad. There is an overlap of at least 1/8th of an inch on one side, even more on the other. Further, it appears on the underside of the cap, there is a secondary circular ridge that probably fit into the circular hole on the original stem. This might be why the cap now appears off-center--the ridge appears to have "found its proper place" on one side, but not the other. If I expand the part of the stem that grabs the steerer tube enough, I'm sure I can get the top cap to "seat" properly, but then obviously the stem won't be securing the steerer tube tightly enough.

I've cranked the cap down as far as it will go, but it's not exactly attractive, and worry about the safety aspect.

The only thing that I can think of is that there was a insert in the original Specialized stem, that allowed for additional stem angles. Is it possible that my steerer tube is actually a 1" (hard to believe on a modern fork, but then again it is a Specialized fork and may have been made 1" to accept the nutty custom angled stem). If that's the case, I would need to use the shim that came with my Easton, no? If that's not it, I don't know what else to try. Would I need a new top cap? Do they even sell such a thing?

Thanks for any ideas.