Thread: Cycling Shoes-
View Single Post
Old 12-02-15, 09:41 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bo31210
You will more than likely fall (you will be the anomaly if you dont) What I would suggest is get the pedals installed and head to a local high school football/soccer field or a large grassy area and practice to your heart's content. That way when you do fall, it wont be as bad. I love clipless pedals and have been using them since the late 80s when the only ones you could find were Looks. Wish I had still had those!
+1

I commute with Look style road pedals daily so they can be not as easy to click in as other systems. But it shows that you can use just about any pedal system, really. Some things I learned the hard way:

- I place my foot flat on the ground when stopping. This reduces wear and tear on the front part of the plastic cleat.
- I usually put my butt in the saddle first when starting out (before clipping in the other foot). I had a spectacular fall earlier this year being out of the saddle and trying to clip in and missing. Nothing hurt except for my pride.
- Make sure cleat bolts are secure and don't use grease on them. Check new bolts (and cleats) every once in a while. I've lost a bolt or two in the past from not checking.
- Might be only for Look, but I prefer the cleats with the rubber pads on them. They help when I need to walk a short distance in the shoes by preventing me from slipping.
- Try furniture polish (like Pledge) on cleat and pedal surface to reduce squeaks. Think I read this in another thread here on BF.

Last edited by ptempel; 12-02-15 at 09:59 AM.