View Single Post
Old 11-22-05, 06:17 PM
mingsta
All the gear and no idea.

Bikes: 03 Klein Attitude Comp, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Condor Pista Track, Seven Alaris SG = perfection, all the bike I will ever need

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie help with HR stats

Hi guys, I've been cycling on and off road for 2 years now and have recently bought a HR monitor to aid training.

I haven't had the chance to use it much yet, but did use it for an hour and a half spin session this evening.

I'm rather suprised by the stats that I got at the end of the session, listed below. I don't know much about training with HR, but these seem way high and I appear to have spent 61% of my time in the red. I've used the HR on a couple of road rides and this has yielded fairly similar stats, maybe a little lower due to a few short stops and a bit of chatting with friends etc.

During the class, I didn't feel like I was busting a gut and was holding back a little as don't normally do long spin sessions as I tend to suffer from excessive sweat/cramp when riding indoors. I'd had several nights of consecutive good sleep. The class was an even mixture of intervals and steady riding.

Anyway, I'd be very grateful if anyone could help me to interpret this data. Do I need to back off a little still? I've heard that its not necessarily a good thing to spend so long in the threshold/anaerobic zone. Or is it possible that my max rate is higher than I think? Or do some people just have naturally high HR's? Does this mean that I will never be able to attain the Lance like abilities that I aspire to? I would imagine that the pro's could exert a similar effort without breaking in to 110+!

Thanks for the help guys!!! Any insight appreciated!!!

Time: 1:30 hrs
11% in 107-137
22% in 137-156
61% in 156+
Max - 183
Ave - 152

Here's a quick rundown of my stats:

Age - 29
Height - 172 cm
Weight - 65kg
Fat - 6-8%
Max HR - Approx 195 (rough guess, haven't done a true HR max test yet)
Resting HR - 52