Old 11-23-05, 07:31 PM
JohnBrooking
Commuter

Bikes: 2006 Giant Cypress EX (7-speed internal hub)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you rinse it after a ride, how do you make sure it's dry by the next day? You can rub the frame with a towel, but you can't get in all the joints and stuff. Is that where the low temp grease comes in (so to speak)?

In my case, the poor thing was out in the rain all day yesterday, partially sitting and partially being ridden, so it was wet when I put it in the shed last night. In retrospect, I should have brought it inside. It didn't seem to freeze in the shed, because it was okay when I started this morning, but by 1/2 mile into the ride, things started freezing. I stubbornly kept going, but by the halfway mark, my brakes were unusable and I only had the use of half my gears. I managed to make it to work safely, and put it in the entryway of the building, rather than outside as normal. I took a ride over lunch (to get warmer gloves, see other thread) and again, it was okay at first, but then froze again. So I was forced (out of some misguided concern for my safety? ) to call my wife to bring the bike & me home this evening, rather than chance it again, in the dark, colder, and still snowing.

So now it's sitting in the basement, where it can probably stay until Monday morning, due to having tomorrow and Friday off for Thanksgiving. It's warm there, but a bit humid, so I'm not sure it will be the best place to dry out. Is it better to be less warm (but still above freezing) but more dry, such as on the (unheated) front porch? I'd bring it all the way in the house, except we have relatives here for the holiday so it would be a little in the way. Should I take a hair dryer to it? I'm not sure. Any advice is appreciated.

I should state that I don't usually have this problem, so I'm pretty sure it's mainly due to being out in the rain all day yesterday.