Thread: Speed limit
View Single Post
Old 07-26-01, 08:54 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
When motoring, I make it a point to hold my speed at the posted maximum speed limit (or even slower, when conditions warrant), irrespective of pressure from those behind me. On a multilane highway, I leave the inner lane open for those who wish to overtake me, but I refuse to succumb to peer pressure to drive dangerously or illegally fast.

On California's local roads, our biggest traffic enforcement nightmare is the "85th percentile law," which states that a motorist cannot be cited for exceeding a posted speed limit, provided that his reported speed did not exceed the 85th percentile speed among motorists on that stretch of road, as measured and computed during a survey. This homicidally-written anti-speedtrap legislation allows the fastest 15 percent of drivers to undermine attempts by local communities to calm traffic, to make their roads safer for pedestrians, cyclists, and even motorists.