Old 02-07-16, 11:03 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I grew up in Valley Stream and would ride to JFK airport and walks around. When the 747 first came to JFK my friend Danny and I were roaming around the TWA building and walked down a jetway. We entered the plane and when we say the staircase we knew were were on a 747, We went upstairs and sat in the cockpit. If we did that today were would be arrested and interrogated by the FBI.

The 60s/70s were a much simpler time.

Many times we would take Merrick Road to Jamaica and jump on the subway so we could ride around Manhattan.

I once road to Captree, yes I road on the parkway (i was young and stupid, now i'm old and stupid). I found some fishing line and a hook in the trash. I asked for some bait and tide a silver 7 Up can filled with rocks to the line and cast ir off the pier. I caught a few flounder and threw them back since I didn't eat fist.

In my early 20s I purchase a Motobecane Super Mirage from Brands and would ride 2-3 times a week from Valley Stream to my office near Rt 110 and the LIE. They had a drivers locker room where I would shower and change into a suit and tie.

Then in the 80s I stopped riding for some reason. But i'm back in the saddle and on a mission.

My friend Danny and I used to take old lawn mower engines and mount them on a bike using a street sign as a mounting plate. We mounted a larger pullet from a washing machine to the rear wheel using fender washers and bolts. A brake lever was the accelerator and we mounted a idler pulley on a movable arm that acted as the clutch. It was some real mechanical fun, a lot better than the kids today with their video games.