View Single Post
Old 03-12-03, 12:07 PM
pinerider
bici accumulatori

Bikes: 1985 Nishiki International Touring Bike, 1992 Vitus 979 road bike, 1996 Bianchi Premio road bike, 2002 Thin Blue LIne CO2 mountain bike, 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa touring bike, 1964 CCM roadster, 1959 CCM Motorbike, 2002 KHS FXT mtb + more to fix!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, Stokell, the lift bridge opened a week early, I've been riding over it since yesterday.
You might want to try The Plains Rd./ York Boulevard entrance to Hamilton through Burlington instead of the beach. It's a much nicer ride - You pass the Royal Botanical Gardens, Dundurn Castle, Cootes Paradise, downtown Hamilton (not the highlight of the trip) The rail trail up the escarpment is accessible from Wentworth Street.
If you are insistent on travelling via the beach, there is a nice wide new asphalt bike trail along the lakefront from Joseph Brant hospital in Burlington, extending past Confederation Park in Stoney Creek.

The rail trail does go to Caledonia, there is a gap around the Lincoln Alexander Expressway in Hamilton, but it's not too difficult to find your way back to the trail. I can give you directions if you need them. This trail is a little rough for a road bike, it's paved but just tar and chip.
Sorry, I don't have any info on the York portion of the rail trail.

For off road trails, the Dundas Valley is great check freewheel cycle for maps. Red Hill Valley in East Hamilton also has some good bike trails, with linkages to the Bruce Trail along the escarpment. Check the City of Hamilton website here and click on "Parks and green spaces" for a city map including bike trails.

Last edited by pinerider; 03-13-03 at 11:36 AM.