View Single Post
Old 03-15-16, 12:27 PM
Chili Cheesy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mantelclock
I should note that the changes to the Motobecane took place over a ten year period. There was no plan, and I definitely didn't use top shelf components, but everything works really well. My only regret is not changing to a cassette hub. It would have given me a lot more options for gearing.
My touring setup will as well be evolving over a span of years. I'm glad I am starting with all modern, common touring components for sure.

Originally Posted by bradtx
Have fun with it. One of the bikes I toe dipped into the touring pool was an '81 Raleigh Record Ace. Nothing was perfect; gearing was too high, frame was a little noodly, and the brakes under whelmed. All in all it helped provide an insight into the touring niche.

Brad

I like the sound of that. I'm happy to start out with a finicky (noodly) touring mutant. I feel that it's the way it should be. I'll learn a lot and really appreciate my progress as I upgrade.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Surlys ain't bad but are certainly not the lightest of frames. If you can save up some coinage you might try a company like Co-Motion really nice hand built frames MUSA and a bit lighter than a surly. It never hurts to go semi or full custom (except in the wallet) and it is nice after you have ridden a bike for a while and know what you like and don't like and maybe can better get that.
I checked Co-Motion out. Killer hand-built stuff. Maybe one day haha. Realistically I'll be going with something more affordable, not necessarily a Surly, but I love their style. There's sumthin' kinda' "no bull****, no bells and whistles, just good tough steel" about them that I dig.