Old 11-29-05, 12:57 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by leeinmemphis
Hey everyone,

I am just now getting back into shape after a long time off. I am about 6' tall and currently weight 235lbs. I am probably going to end up around 210-215lbs when I am at my goal weight(very broad shouldered/muscular build). I have a mountain bike and a trek 5200 carbon road bike now but I am thinking about getting a touring bike for riding on the road. I'ld like something that is more comfortable and less likely to break things than on my trek that I have now. I was looking at a cannondale touring bike on their website that looks ok but I don't really know which other brands I should check out. For arguments sake lets assume I'ld be willing to go $1500-$2000 on a new bike even though that is the higher end of what I'ld prefer to spend. Also am I correct in assuming that the touring bikes will be a less aggressive riding bike? I know I could always get an aftermarket wheelset for my trek with some wider tires but I don't know if I really want to ride a bike with the aggressive geometry on a regular basis. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

-lee-
I'm as big as you and I ride a T800. I have a steel touring bike but it has some problems with shimmy on high speed descents. I've never had a problems with the T800. There are a few touring bikes out there (do a search in the forums since it's been discussed before) but, for us big guys, there are few that will match the Cannondales for price and strength.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!