Old 11-29-05, 02:44 PM
willtsmith_nwi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tequila Joe
I've been riding on WTB 2.4 MotoRaptors on the icy single track trails this winter. They are great in every condition except for ice. I almost "bit it big" a few times the last couple rides.

I just bought these Nokian Extreme 294. Anyone with experience with riding with studded tires? I've read that they make a huge difference on ice.

T.J.
I rode my first Turkey Burner using these tires for the first time. My impression was that they were slow rolling, though I was riding at pretty low pressure (for me). I also wasn't in very good shape.

The day was cold and dry and I really would have been better of with my Cinders. Se la vie. When the ice and snow is down on the trail, I think the 294s will be necessary to avoid nasty crashes.

For those reading, if you have the money, go for the Hakkas (http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=TR1104) which are kevlar and have aluminum anchors underneath the carbide studs. They're about $20 more (each) than the 294s.

I need to get a set of XT/Rynolite XL to mount these too so I can keep the Cinders on my XT/Rynolites.

BTW, if you have wide rims, you will need some metal tire levers to mount the Nokians. The bead is SUPER tight and the wire doesn't yield very well. I used a metal lever to finish mounting mine and need to by a set of Soma steel core levers before I'll even be able to get the tires off.

Last edited by willtsmith_nwi; 11-29-05 at 03:06 PM.