Old 04-01-16, 09:29 PM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NYMXer
So, when I bike with the GF, it is only on a paved and flat MUP trail and while we ride close to 20 easy miles at an super easy pace, I end up pushing her from behind (yes, I like it) about 1/3 of the way.
She suggested a tandem bike but I am resistant and want her to get stronger rather than ride tandem.
So... the questions are:

- What bike should I get knowing it is going to be a temporary arrangement (If there is a God)

- I want her interest in biking to grow, so I want her comfortable. What options are important for her comfort. I know a seat post suspension is one important option, are there others?

- Should I maybe just keep encouraging her to ride her own bike (Diamondback w/ 700c and front suspension, a good bike)

Suggestions, advice, help and more please.... THANKS!
1) Used tandems pop up on Craigslist and the other usual places on a regular basis, often with very few miles.

2) The reason that they often have very few miles is because one person thinks that it will make the other one like biking.

3) Assuming that someone who isn't enjoying riding a single bike will suddenly "see the light" and enjoy riding a tandem is... misplaced optimism, at best.

Seriously, if she's not interested in biking ( hey, it happens! ) then a tandem is unlikely to change her mind. It's a whole different experience than a single bike, and many people don't consider it to be an improvement. Sometimes we just have to accept that our partners won't share every one of our interests. :-)