spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Hey Ed,

I am from Western PA also. I live in Robinson Twp. Allegheny County (for those of you not in the area there are two Robinson Townships that almost touch one another). I am sure I will find your information even useful to me.

Do you know if it is legal to cross the 79 bridge on your bike? I thought I remember seeing somewhere that it was. Once I get my boat back in the water, in the Spring, I want to take a trip up to Moraine State Park, spend the night on the boat and return the next day.

velonomad,

Just be prepared for rough trail on parts of the Montour Trail. Most of it is very good with hard packed limestone but there is a bit that is washed out. The first 2 miles or so from Coraoplis can be traveled by a road bike but it is rough. The area from Imperial to the Boggs parking lot can also be rough but this can be easily bypassed via Boggs Road. If it has been wet then consider a road route as most of the trail will be very muddy (limestoney ? ).
I was out this weekend, went 20 feet, turned around and just took the roads.

The McDonald Trestle should not be missed. It is a pretty impressive bit of engineering considering the era in which it was built.