View Single Post
Old 04-07-16, 02:54 AM
nz6666

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sdwphoto
My Brompton is about three years old and I have the easy wheels with the rear rack and it rolls fine as far as I am concerned.I have used it on smooth floors,rough floors and even pushed it folded up all the way down to the local Vons supermarket just to see how it would do. It worked fine even thru an alleyway with potholes and cracked concrete.I did try the skate wheels when I first got it but after a few days went back to the easy wheels.One problem with the skate wheels is they are to wide making the bike difficult to turn, easy wheels do not they turn on a dime if you know how to use them. Also don't forget if you mess with the easy wheels Brompton will no longer honor the bike's warranty.
And one more thing they don't tell you if you are a new owner.If you get a rear flat and forgot to bring your patch kit and tools don't take it for granted you can fold it up and push it home on the easy wheels.It will go about two feet and then stop dead , the rear tire when inflated is what holds the bike frame up and keeps the front wheel from scrapping the ground.Without that support the front wheel drags on the ground and gets caught against the rest of the bike frame.If you do find yourself in this situation take your jacket,sweater whatever you have with you and fold it up and jam it between the rear tire and frame to lift the front wheel upward enough.If you have nothing with you use a stone, or piece of wood to do the same or go thru a trash can for enough paper to fold up.(Now watch all the replies saying that everybody knows this! No they don't , even Brompton forgets to mention it)
Thanks! Very good info!