Old 04-13-16, 10:03 AM
Kopsis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by garciawork
Man, riding that low scares me! Not really, but it seems very bizarre from my experience. I think I am going to try somewhere in the neighborhood of 40-50psi and see how it goes. Still waiting on my sit bones to recover from my first ride of the season, as I remember why I prefer to not ever take this much time off the bike... ouch. So, I will get out and test tomorrow hopefully.
Trust the physics, not your gut People typically run tire pressures that are higher than necessary even with normal 23/25mm road clinchers. Combine that with the fact that 35mm tires have over 230% the volume of a 23mm road tire and you'll see that those "scary" pressure numbers really aren't.

I've raced Cyclocross on 32mm clinchers (with tubes) at 28R/26F PSI. I race 32mm CX tubulars closer to 20 PSI. I do have a bit of a weight advantage, but unless you're really pushing the limits on the kind of terrain your bike was meant to ride, you'd be surprised just how low you can safely go on your setup. But there's certainly no harm in starting higher and working your way down. Just don't be afraid to push the low-end a bit -- hitting the sweet spot for tire pressure can really transform your off-pavement riding experience.