Old 12-01-05, 03:23 PM
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Billet's used all the time for custom parts in motorcycle and auto-racing all the time, handlebars, fork triple-Ts and clamps, rearsets and pegs, suspension A-arms, steering-knuckles, etc. The design's more important for strength and durability than the raw material. Use Solidworks with linear-FEA and you can figure out the stresses pretty easily. Just add a little extra material on the flanges outside of the holes and you'll be fine (about 5mm should do). Be sure to angle the flanges in to aim at the rim.

Axial loads are mimimal, even in cornering. That's because you lean and loads are still radial. Axial loads would only be a issue in a trike or something that stays upright under cornering like a car.

If you really want to deal with axial loads, you can use angular contact bearings:
. Page 1019 of McMaster-Carr catalog

or tapered roller bearings:
. Page 1022 of McMaster-Carr catalog

Thats what i was thinking, not really any axial loads here. YOur weight is always sitting ontop of the hub so thats why. I've got some really nice angular contact bearings, but i think i will keep them for motion control systems . I will use abec 7 radial bearings. no taper roller bearings.
6061 was definantly the material i would be using, i like its machinability and i've got lots of it. PLus it ahs good properties like others said