Old 04-23-16, 10:54 PM
twodownzero

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ribble Nero Corsa, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Cannondale MT800, Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where do you carry your emergency repair tools, seat bag or rack bag?

So I've been commuting on my disc trucker that I built, and it's absolutely everything I wanted it to be. It's a bit heavy, but it has primarily road components with a mountain crank, fenders, a handbuilt wheels with a dynamo hub and mountain rear hub.

On my road bike, a small seat bag carried a spare tube, tire levers, and CO2. I have been commuting with none of this stuff recently, tempting fate. I plan to carry a frame pump, spare tube, patches, and multi tool for the time being.

I have a small rack bag that I used before when I had a hybrid bike, which I've now sold. It's way bigger than necessary for these items, but not large enough to carry my spare clothes, which I've been carrying in a backpack but I'm probably going to go with some sort of inexpensive pannier for soon to get the backpack off my back when riding.

Bottom line, should I buy a seat bag and put my emergency road repair stuff in it? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy a rear rack, make do with my largeish rack bag, and throw some extra cycling clothes in it? Or should I save that space and just use a seat bag? Or something else? I'm seeking input.

Common sense says to get a seat bag for now, or at least throw a tube and levers in my jersey pocket or backpack. But if I'm going to need at least one pannier soon, I am going to need a rack anyway, and I may not even bother using the seat bag later.

If I do a seat bag, what will fit 2x 26x1.6 tubes + levers and not be too big?