Old 12-01-05, 08:15 PM
HoustonB
Βanned.

Bikes: 1976 Dawes Galaxy, 1993 Trek 950 Single Track and Made-to-Measure Reynolds 753 road bike with Campag throughout.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
That makes all the difference.
Note that the article does not mention what percent of their trips were on bicycle before all the facilities were added starting in the 70s. I bet it was already about 40%, and that there is little if any basis to attribute high bicycle use in Amsterdam to the special facilities.

If the Portlanders think adding Amsterdam-like facilities will Amsterdamize the use of bicycles in Portland, I think they're in for a shock.
Which part of "up from 30% in the 90's" did you not understand.

As someone that has toured in Holland, Belgium and France. Commuted in London and plenty of other places in the U.K. (I'm a Brit) and now actually resides in Portland, all I can say is I see a lot of opinion and not much actual (Amsterdam) experience in the tone of your post.

I would say that Portland is one of a very small set of U.S. cities that has any chance of modifying its car / bike culture. To scoff and call it "wasted money" smacks merely of sour grapes.

Your VC (Vehicular Cycling) extreme fundamentalism is showing.