Old 05-03-16, 12:15 PM
emailsfh
car dodger

Bikes: 2007 Moots Vamoots SL, 2007 EAI Bare Knuckle Fixed, 2014 Surly DT, 2019 Surly Big Easy | Wife's: 2008 Specialized Ruby Elite, 2014 Charge Plug 3, 2014 Mercier Kilo Fixed | Son's: Strider, Weehoo, Woom2, Islabikes | FOR SALE: Roark Ti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velo Orange Campeur build in progress - commuter, kid hauler, grocery getter

After owning a 2004 Trek 520 (21") with a ridiculously long TT for me for many years (55.5 cm), I decided it was time for something new. Primary purpose of the bike is as a loaded commuter, kid hauler and grocery getter, but hope to also do some weekend tours. Primarily I was looking for a bike that would fit the same niche but fit me better, and also one that I could swap many existing parts over (especially wheelset) to try and save some money.

After much research, I had to rule out many other touring models from Surly and Soma because they came with smaller wheels on my frame size (50-53cm). I like the Surly Cross Check but I often have a child seat attached and the low center of gravity (low BB) and load handling capability of a touring bike fit the bill better--I'm often carrying 60+ pounds between child, seat and panniers for work and daycare (the Trek has always handled this load admirably). I'd purchased VO parts in the past and had my eye on their frames for a few years. I decided the Campeur fit most of my criteria and I purchased a 51cm frame (I'm 5'6-1/2" with long legs ~81cm PBH / ~71 saddle height). After initial panic in the last few days that the bike would be too low for me and I wouldn't be able to get the handlebars in a more upright position that I'm looking for on this bike, I think I've decided it might work out (feedback welcome). The 53cm size is out of stock until August anyway, so I'm just going to build the frame and see how I like it. Fingers crossed.

First some pics :

Building with these parts:
Crankset* & BB*: Sugino XD600 165mm / Shimano UN55 110mm spindle
Cassette*: SRAM 12-32
Front DR: Shimano 105 9-speed
Rear DR*: NOS Shimano XT M751 9-speed
Brakes: Avid Single Digit 5 Linear Pull
Seatpost: Velo Orange Grand Cru
Saddle: Brooks Team Professional Titanium -Black (likely switching to Gilles Berthoud Aravis if someone wants to buy a Team Pro)
Stem*: VO +/-6 on VO threadless adapter.
Headset*: VO Grand Cru
Handlebars: Soma Portola (dirt drop style) wrapped in VO black leather bar tape
Racks: Rear: Black Tubus Logo; Front Black Tubus Tara Lowrider*
Fenders*: SKS P50 Chromoplastic Silver
Wheels: Bontrager 36 spoke, Deore LX hubs (stock on my Trek 520) [eventually want to get a dynamo hub)
Tires: Schwalbe Marathon Mondial Folding 700x40 (42-622)

*New parts

How I roll at least 3 days per week currently:

I'll post more pics as I build it this week. Any tips welcome. Also, I'll have some stuff for sale soon if anyone is looking for a solid American-made Trek touring frame (these things are tanks), 105 cranks and some other parts. I'll start a for sale thread when the time comes.

Last edited by emailsfh; 05-05-16 at 03:59 PM.