Old 05-11-16, 06:57 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I have an old Trek 930. Frankly I don't use it much, but it is a very good bike, for what it is. The 930s were American made frames made out of True Temper Steel. The 930 has 26" wheels and takes 2" wide tires. Though I like the bike and the ride is as smooth as an old school Cadillac, I am a full 2 mph slower on my 930 with slicks compared to my speed on my Salsa Casseroll with 700c wheels and 32 mm tires. If I didn't have the Salsa, I might have tried to further modify the Trek to make it more efficient for me, but since I don't need to do it, I keep the Trek as a winter and light trail bike.

I had to put a stem riser on the bike to ride it, as I quickly realized when I raised the seat up high enough to ride the bike, the handlebars were too low for me to use the bike on the street. Not a big deal, but I also needed to switch out the brake and shifter cables as well.

If you plan to ride on the street, go with slick tires with little or no tread. If you plan to do some riding on dirt or gravel, go with a semi knobby tire.

Last edited by MRT2; 05-11-16 at 07:02 AM.