View Single Post
Old 12-02-05, 07:14 PM
swifferman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChroMo2
I appreciate your first response, it made more sense than your other two. I'm a former street racer, and have built street racing motors by my own specifications from the studying that i have done on aftermarket applications. I've seen my designs on motors that were duplicated in HOT ROD magazine, after I applied specicific components. I'm also a trained technician and worked on military vehices in Ft. Carson Colorado. I've raced motorcycles and snowmobiles and have performed the work to make them outperform standard factory designs. If your "biffed" by my posts it's because i've actually put mysellf in the position to test vehicles that were built with aftermarket parts and i've actually machined parts that have never been seen before to use them in racing applications, and I test them, pushing the limits of exhibitionism sport riding. So basically buiding a racing bicycle is very common for me, and understanding 99% of the componentry to it's applications is second nature. I've seen a 19 pound mountain bike with fiberglass spokes. Unfortunatey the price you have to pay for that is the spokes break easily no matter how much you weigh. Would you wanna use fiberglass spokes in competition? They weigh a lot less! I wouldn't. I use Control tech seatposts. I own two of them. They don't make them anymore, it's too bad, they were of superior design. I use Selle Italia Flite saddles with titanium rails. I tried the tubular titanium instead of the solid rails. I broke a rail on a tubular seat. The seat was lighter because of it's design. Selle Italia offered to replace the rail. I thanked them and just decided to buy a new one. So maybe people can learn that if you sit around and weigh your components, your not always going to help yourself, and you might end up with a bike that's going to break. My bike weighs about 24 pounds and it does a far superior job than most hardtails. I rely on physical performance. I think it would be fun to see people post their bikes and tell us how much their bikes weigh.

Someone tell Lance Armstrong to get off his 16 lb Trek, it's unsafe! :O:O:O

So is the point of this thread to scoff at those who care what their bike weighs? Seems a little ridiculous to me.

If an XC racer has a 23 lb. bike and another who has a 21 lb. bike race, and both have equal abilities, who will win? The one with the lighter bike. I suppose if you don't want to win, then there's no point in being a weight weenie.