Old 05-21-16, 10:07 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by 01 CAt Man Do
Yes, it is. Whether it's too feature rich would depend on the opinion of who's using it.
No doubt. The ideal way is to have the features but not in a way that gets in the way of people who don't need those features.

Two problems with the app: the street name text is too small and the maps don't autoload reliably.

About paying for the maps; I don't recall the maps costing a boat load of money. I paid for the app and the few extra maps I bought were a drop in the bucket compared to what I pay for phone service every month. "Free" is nice to get once in a while but if I'm only spending something that cost me less than buying lunch I can do that without regrets. No app is going to be perfect.
I've looked at a few of these sorts of apps. Locus is the only one that makes you pay for each map and for map updates (beyond a year?) It's kind of a subscription model (which I don't like).

I'm not asking for free. (I've contributed money to free services).

If you are using OSM maps, having access to updates is key.

The guy I quoted wanted to be able to navigate without using too much battery power. He wanted to have the GPS in "off" mode most of the time. That's a tough nut to crack.
Macadamia nut tough.

Anyway I figured if he wanted to save battery life that much he wouldn't be using the screen much either. Likely the "Cue Sheet" app would be the better choice for him since he could just turn the app on to look at the written TBT instructions. Then he could use the odometer on his bike computer to watch for the next turn. Then as long as he is keeping track of his last turn he can FForward to his newest position on the map ( if he needs to use the map ). It would be a PITA to do it that way in my opinion but hey, it could be done and it's what you have to do if the app crashes anyway.
I don't think that is worth saving the $170 a refurbished Edge 800 costs.

I like the how an active map gives an indication of what is going on.

Anyway, Cue Sheet is able to download off line maps as well but I've never used it off line or know if the maps are free or not.
The cuesheet app is interesting but I'm not sure if it's actively being worked on. I think it uses Google maps. I wouldn't use something that didn't work offline.

( Update; Awe crap, didn't realize that the original guy I quoted ( tende ) started the post in 2013...hate when that happens. Someone dug up an old post and got it bumped. That got by me. )
It was 2012. No big deal.

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-21-16 at 10:36 PM.