FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Various build frustrations...

Trying to put together a Klein Navigator for touring. The front chain ring (single) is to be a 44 tooth with Wetzikon rings on both sides to prevent chain-jump. When I installed this rig on a Shimano 105 double crank and Octalink BB, the Wetzikon rings drug on the chain stay!

Fishing around in the parts box, I came up with an old Deore triple but with square axles! Further fishing found a sealed-bearing BB with square axle. When I tried to install it, the BB threads were larger than the shell! I finally found an English BB and all is well with the cranks.

Question #1 - Is this larger BB Italian or French thread?

Then I tried to install my 27.2 seat post. No go - the seat tube is larger! Best I can measure with my old calipers, the post is somewhere between 30 and 30.6 mm inside diameter.

Question #2 - What is the proper diameter seat post for a 1998 Klein Navigator frame? (YES - I've already checked Sheldon Brown's site - no info there!)

I then installed my Avid 7 "single digit" V-brakes. Putting the spring in the middle hole, I get no spring tension on the arms - they just flop around!

Question #3 - What stupid thing have I overlooked while installing my V-brakes?

I then went to put my wheels on. Surprise! The Klein frame (aluminum) is sized for a 135 mm rear hub! I've only got a 130 mm road hub.

Question #4 - Can I safely compress the 135 mm seat/chain stays to use a 130 mm hub?

Thanks in advance!