Old 06-03-16, 01:45 PM
Not the Slowest

Bikes: 2002 Seven Axiom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fantastic and spot on.

My first thought in regard to using them was "Will I be comfortable". I'm not so sure I will be flexible as I may need and thus why this is a test.

So the point that you make and which I will look at is simply which way am I faster. I'm just happy to hear that in an event I never thought to do may be my better event. Now all I have to do is get faster and hopefully the bars will work for me and help give me an edge.

Originally Posted by carleton
By the way, it's worth noting that for some riders, aerobars are not faster than drop bars.

Case 1:

If your event is 500m, even at the elite World level, aero bars are used by around half of the elite women and very few of the elite men. In such a short event, the standing start is crucial. The 100% effort standing start is always better using sprint bars. So, if you have a better start, use drop bars. If you have a better top-end or finishing speed, then use aero bars.

Case 2:

If your event is 750M, Aerobars are like 50% for men. Again, it depends on if your start is great or not.

Case 3:

Kilo. It's generally accepted that a kilo is faster in aerobars than drop bars.

Case 4:

The factor that upsets all of the above: Narrow Drop Bars. Narrow drop bars (33-35m) are a big x-factor. In 2011, Sky Chritopherson rode a super-fast 1:06.481 Kilo at Masters Worlds riding 35cm Scattos. He won Silver. Missed Gold by +0.329". Sky was in the 35-39 age group. But to put that into perspective, 1:04 is fast enough to win US Elite Kilo.

Case 5:

If you aren't super fast or comfortable in the aerobars, drops may be better.
If you are not very flexible and up really high, drops may be better.

(Anecdotal) Case 6:

I've matched my PB Kilo (a blistering 1:15) using both aerobars and 37cm drop bars. At DLV, I rode slightly faster in 33cm drops than I did in aerobars.

My point: Don't assume that aerobars are automatically faster than drops.