View Single Post
Old 12-05-05, 09:30 AM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by solution_63
I've just started thinking that a folding bike may be the way forward for me, and I like the look of the Dahon Speed Pro. What does everyone think about using this bike as an everyday bike, with the main purpose being a 40km round trip commute? Would it handle some touring OK? Any problems with keeping the wheels true on bumpy pike paths?

One problem may be my height, just under 6' 3". I know Dahon claim it's OK for anyone up to 6'4", but is this realistic?

On the plus side, I've found it online here in Japan for the equivalent of $620 / 360 UK pounds which has got to be a bargain! I think this may be (please correct me if I'm wrong!) because this model won't be sold anymore. The Japanese Dahon website shows 2006 bikes, and it has the Speed Pro TT which uses 105 STI shifters and retails for a lot more cash and doesn't fold up so small.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for your help!
I'd go for it..that's a great price!.. I have an 05 SpeedPro and love it... huge gear range and pretty comfortable with the Pantour front hub. I don't ride bumpy bike paths, but if I did, I would consider changing the 120psi Stelvios for a cush tire, in the 70psi range. The wheels are lightweight minimum spoke performance wheels, so you'd want to minimize the shock based on the road surface you ride on. I haven't had any spoke/wheel problems yet, but I do monitor and maintain the spoke tension myself.

Bruce