View Single Post
Old 06-24-16, 07:36 PM
beechnutC23
U.I.O.G.D.

Bikes: Bassi Hog's Back gravel/bikepacking, Bombtrack Hook 2 gravel, Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, Marinoni Special EL-OS/Campy Record (retired to permanent indoor trainer), Rocky Mountain hybrid, Rocky Mountain mtb Cervelo R3 Team/Campy Chorus FOR SALE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Being away from home, sleeping in strange beds, eating whatever is available...

About eight years ago I walked into my manager's office and announced that I would no longer travel and that I was comfortable with the consequences of making that choice. It worked out for me and now I work from home but pro tour or not, traveling for work gets old after a while.
Until 2002, I travelled globally for my employer; Europe, South America, Africa, Korea & Japan, USA, and all over my native land, Canada. It was fun when I was in my 30s. Then when I hit my 40s I started to notice it taking a bigger bite out of me. I made a career switch from being a chemist in the pulp and paper industry (which was dying anyway) into IT (I had taken many elective computer science courses in university and had developed some of my own apps for my lab).

Now I'm retired as I found that commuting for my job was also starting to take a bigger bite out of me as I hit my 50s, and the area I lived in was far from where the jobs were.

Life is short, and cars, airplanes and hotel rooms are about the worst places to enjoy it. Now when I travel it's for fun, and I stay in monasteries, B&Bs and vacation rentals mostly, depending on whether I'm alone or with my wife.