TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
I've thought before that, if I ever want to try a century, it would be the Palm Springs century which is reputedly extremely flat (1000ft elevation over the whole 100mi). But of course without hills to hold the wind in check, wind becomes an issue. If they could set up the route/timing so that daily wind patterns would mean tailwind all the way?
It's more like 3800 feet, which is still very flat. *Most* of the time, you get an insane head wind for a couple miles at the start and then a huge tail wind for the long stretch of dillon road, and somehow... there's really no head wind when you head back to the start. I guess the buildings and vegetation break it up.

Cool breeze was my first century - it's a good one for that. Some hills, but they're all front loaded and you get a tail wind for most of the way back to the start.

Amtrak... sounds good but good luck getting "in". That dumb ride sells out in 10 minutes flat. We frequently do our own (I'm sure you've seen the "Pizza Port 70" posts) and just skip the part into SD. I don't think the route is particularly fun on the Amtrak after you get up Torrey Pines.

I think there's one down by you called Taste the coast that's basically 2 50 mile loops and reasonably flat.