northernlights

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by italktocats
what place IS?
Parks and trails are pretty safe.

Street riding can be unsafe anywhere in the world but in NA where automobiles are much larger and the speeds faster, it is more dangerous than most. In American people are very status conscious. They virtually worship the automobile and have have little or no respect for cyclists.

Originally Posted by Miele Man
From what I've seen read and see, I'd say that sidewalk riding is probably one ofthe most dangerous riding places for a bicyclist. You're out of sight of motorists at just about every crossind which include intersections as well as entrances to buildings or parking lots. Then you have the issue of people with or without earbuds andering around or stepping out of buildings and stepping directly into your path especially if you are travellingat any speed. There're many good reasons why most areas do not allow adult size bicycles on sidewalks. Be extremely careful if you're riding on a sidewalk.

Cheers

I ride a compact folding bike with 20 inch wheels which are allowed on the sidewalk in most places, though I rarely do. You don't want to ride a full size bike on the sidewalk because their speed and size make them awkward and harder to control in a confined space as the sidewalk.