Thread: Crosstar.... ?
View Single Post
Old 07-14-16, 04:59 PM
Gingi
Stuck in the '80s.

Bikes: 1986 Takara Elitist, 2002 Jade AL-C (frameset), early '70s Atala Grand Prix (For Sale), 70s Frejus mod. Tour de France (resto in progress), 1971 Bob Jackson (resto in progress), 70s Speedway (ss converted), 2002 Bianchi Eros frameset

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Crosstar frameset back in 2014 off eBay. Unbadged, it cost me$160, shipped. It took a bit to arrive (expected) but had a lightly crushed headtube upon unboxing. The manufacturer offered me half back and I keep the frame, which I accepted. I was able to press the damage out and build it. The stem and headset provided were ****, so those got donated. I used the frameset heavily for messenger work here in Columbus. Never had any major complaint except my Campy headset would not keep tension. This past January, the front end started feeling squishy, so I swapped forks and headset out. Today I went to clean the old forks for reuse and discovered a crack starting ¼" from crown face brake hole, continuing up the face, around the junction of the crown and steertube, all the way around to the other side and down the face ending opposite of where it started...found the 'squish'. Frame is still holding up to abuse though. Even with the damaged headtube. I wouldn't exactly recommend it, but I had a fair experience with the manf. and knew it was a cheapo and might be a problem.