View Single Post
Old 07-29-01, 02:56 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally posted by RonH
It said that recent studies regarding head injuries among cyclists is on the rise even though helmet use has also increased. They made it sound like wearing a helmet was a waste of time because the helmet may not reduce your chances of receiving a serious head injury. Idiots!!
Personally, I think that anyone who rides in a more dangerous manner just because they are wearing a helmet has other (non cycling) issues. Granted, a helmet is no substitute for sensible cycling, but it will offer additional protection if you are involved in an accident. I actually don't pay much attention to the so-called "mainstream media", and this story is a perfect example of why.

Originally posted by RonH
They also said that many injuries are due to poor cycling habits and not following or understanding the rules of the road.
Why can't these jerks present a positive cycling story???
Two reasons: firstly, they are trying to look after their sponsors. Two of their major sponsors would be oil companies and car companies. Two groups who definitely do not want to see a heap of bikes on the road.

Secondly, because the best way to increase the number of readers of a newspaper is to basically print what people want to read. If Americans are at all like Australians, that will be "everything that goes wrong in your life is someone else's fault." Just think, now Joe Sixpack can feel happy about almost killing that cyclist that he couldn't be bothered slowing down for three seconds to pass because "the cyclist doesn't know the road rules" anyway.

In truth, a lot of cycling injuries are caused by poor cycling habits. However, what annoys me is that the next time there is a motor vehicle accident, nobody in the media will dare suggest that it was poor driving that caused it. Instead it will be the surface of the road, or the conditions, or maybe this guy was "held up" by a cyclist for three seconds and had to hurry because he was late to work and to f**king stupid to understand the concept of getting out of bed five minutes earlier!

rant over.

Chris

That is all.