View Single Post
Old 07-23-16, 09:55 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kinney
Trying keep myself from over paying on Craigslist.
338 lbs, UberClyde shorty. I checked sizing charts, saw that 54cm looks like the average rating for 5' 8", though with my inseam, I think I might have to tippy toe over the top tube (not an issue for me). Does anyone else have a similar issue and solution?
I think the bigger problem, other than the bike being over-priced, will be the race-oriented geometry. If you not young and flexible, you probably want to look for a bike with "endurance" geometry. Among other things, that generally means that the head tube is longer. You can tell at a glance that this is a race bike, because the top tube and down tube attach to the head tube at almost the same point.

At this point, my recommendation would be that you stop posting and go look at some actual bikes in person. Walk into a local bike shop or two, tell them you've got a $1000-1200 budget, and then test-ride a bike or three to get a feel for what types of bikes are available and what size you need. You'll probably want to try an endurance-geometry road bike and a flat-bar hybrid. You'll likely end up riding aluminum frames, but you might want to test-ride a carbon-fiber frame just to see if you feel any difference.