View Single Post
Old 12-07-05, 06:38 PM
af895

Bikes: 2003 KHS F20-Westwood folding & enough parts to make several more bikes...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UPDATE!

Received a pair of Suntour PL-NX-150 alloy folding pedals & Power-Grips today - courtesy of Mike Librik at Easy-Street Recumbents in Austin Texas.

BIG thank you to Mike who patiently answered all of my questions. We must've exchanged a dozen emails.

To mount a Power-Grip, a pedal needs at least three mounting holes - two of them of the type use to secure a toe-clip.

The PL-NX-150's are drilled for toe-clips or the easily-removed reflectors which came installed.

The challenge with a folding pedal is the toe-clip/reflector holes are placed farther outboard than on a conventional pedal.

The Power-Grip instructions would have you put the metal band on the front of the pedal - mounted with supplied bolts to the toe-clip holes.

With a bit of tweaking, I found an easy solution: put the metal band on the BACK of the pedal with the strap attach-point inboard, instead of outboard. (the strap still has the same orientation as a stock install)

To prevent the metal band from interfering with the folding mechanism, I put three of the supplied washers under the inboard hole to add clearance for the sliding bolt. Difficult to describe but I hope the photos help.

Here's a link to the pedals on Suntour's site: http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/standard.xml?vpID=132

...and the Power-Grip site: http://www.powergrips.com/

p.s. I ordered the XL PowerGrips and had to trim a few inches off. They're HUGE! Unless you wear a size 16-EEE shoe, I'd stick with the regular sized Power-Grips.

EDIT!

Revision two: adding a bend to the metal bar used to anchor the Power-Grip.
Instead of washers for slide-block clearance, the bend does the trick. Easy to do with a couple of wood blocks and a mallet.

Also replaced the Philips head bolts with stainless, Allen-head bolts.

What can I say? It's my day off and I'm obsessed with my bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike_w_pedals.jpg (56.4 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg
pedalling.jpg (41.6 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by af895; 12-08-05 at 10:43 PM. Reason: better/more photos, condensed text