Old 08-13-16, 11:52 PM
randomgear

Bikes: '89 Specialized Hardrock Fixed Gear Commuter; 1984? Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CB HI
So you have no real point with your post.

All of the calming items listed in the post I responded to, also slow commuting cyclist below previous speeds, plus they rarely allow the removal of stop signs along the route.

A real solution would calm the motorist without slowing cyclist further and would result in removing at least half of the stop signs. You should not be so lazy and think of better solutions rather than trumpeting ones just because they make you feel wanted.
Well Mr Commuting Cyclist, I see very few people who ride bikes to commute in the Boston area who ride at 20mph. Those few that do appear to be going to or coming off a club ride. Most people who commute by bike in Cambridge, Boston, Somerville, and Brookline (the metro core) do so in work clothes or casual clothes - admittedly with the hot humid summer weather we are having at the moment far more are switching to shorts and tees for both sides of the commute.

Stop signs on my typical calmed street route? Not so many. Not so many traffic signals either. Far more signed and signaled routes are available if you prefer.

Calm streets result in far more people biking not only to work but to school, not just college, but also k-12 with frequently parents are pulling the younger kids on trailers and cargo bikes but also to restaurants, events and so much more. As more streets become calmed more people are riding; as bike infra, especially separated lanes and greenways get built (or have missing segments filled in) ever more and more people are biking. But then again, they don't generally wear lycra and don't average 20mph while riding, so perhaps they don't really count as cyclists, 'cause, you know, they just aren't really like you.

Perhaps in the land of the untamed street, there really is just one commuting cyclist and that's why you use the singular. If that's true, you have my sympathies. In Cambridge, Mass, only slightly more - averaging just 1489 cyclists per day on Broadway, even with the never ending Longfellow Bridge reconstruction making the ride into Boston a bit of an unpleasant chore and Beacon Street in Somerville, where it connects to via Hampshire St, completely torn up. http://eco-public.com/public2/?id=100023038 Once the Longfellow is finished, these numbers are expected to soar.