canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
I am very sorry for the families of the cyclists who have to live in the wake of this terrible event.

However, a few things.

We don't know if the driver HATED bicyclists. He was apparently trying to forget the world and probably was debating committing suicide that night. No one has that many drugs/alcohol and goes out for a drive without those thoughts. You can't stop people from doing things like this. People will always have access to drugs and always have access to alcohol and marijuana. Did he purposely hit the cyclists? We'll never know honestly, and I'm sure his impaired "state" will be used to try to get him a lighter sentence... Unfortunately.

As for the "well he hasn't been convicted of this or this yet." He's been charged with 5 counts of operating a vehicle while intoxicated causing death and 5 counts of 2nd degree murder. (Among other things.) He's going to go to jail for a long time, most likely the rest of his life. Does it matter what he is charged with?

As for... euthanising... him... The death penalty doesn't dissuade people from committing crimes. Don't believe me? Look it up. It is also LUDICROUSLY expensive to actually do the deed. While some people probably could use it, the local and federal government is essentially a business, and most of them choose not to spend money on things like that simply so someone can "feel better/get retribution."

As for more... extreme... punishments. We're good humans. We cannot stoop to levels of criminals. Period.
I usually advocate second chances, third chances, every opportunity to turn a life around. I've stuck by this philosophy with family, friends and neighbors who have struggled with substance abuse and addiction, mental health issues and multiple recidivism.

But this guy was an anti-social bomb just looking for a place to explode. Take a look at his Facebook page. It's post after post, month after month, as far back as you can stomach looking, nothing but anti-social, sexist, hostile crap. Reporter observations of his arraignment indicate the guy showed no signs of remorse. This guy can't blame substance abuse for his behavior. He's a substance abuser because of his behaviors and overall indifference toward society. He may have suffered some sort of abuse when he was in his formative years, but by the time he was an adult he was responsible for his own behaviors and issues.

If I'd known this guy personally, family or friend, I'd have cut him loose many years ago. Some people are unrepentant and beyond help. Give 'em enough rope and they'll tie knots around everyone they know and drag 'em down.