I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Do you not live in a city where you can go to a LBS and pick up a used beater for cheap? Either of those shiny new bikes would be eyed up by potential thieves here in Philly.
Philly thieves must have become more discerning in the past few decades.

Back in my Philadelphia bike commuting days of the 70's, "10 speed racers" or anything that looked like one or was attached to one was THE prize bait for the lowlifes who were stealing bikes for their own riding pleasure. These locals were not interested in stealing or riding "city bikes" or as colloquially described back then as "M-F'ing buses."
Never had a problem back in 1970's when I was commuting on a "city bike" (at first a 1970 Sears 3 speed, then a 1972 Raleigh Sports 3 speed) to and from City Hall and West Oak Lane and later West Philadelphia and parking outside all workday, as well as parking for many hours at presumably insecure areas (for bikes) while at Vet's Stadium, Spectrum, Chinatown, U of P and the like. Never had anything stolen or tampered with in about 6 years of daily, all day outside parking. I'm sure if I had ridden the worst beater, if it somehow resembled a 10 speed racer (dropped handlebars, ass-hatchet seat, and/or derailleur) it would not have fared so well.

When I ride around Philadelphia now, (including down at the Reading and Italian Markets) on my annual visits to see relatives I use a $15 garage sale find that is kept at my sister's house that also seems to be unattractive to Philly thieves. So far at least.

Note: I replaced the original OEM saddle with the pictured one which was a 5DM ($2.50) purchase at a flea market in Frankfurt, Germany.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ItalianMkt.jpg (98.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg
WorldTourist-Right-2.jpg (99.0 KB, 46 views)