Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by bellweatherman
Ooooo la la! Nice job Ness. What is super oversize bigger than oversize?
I'm guessing here, but is that a...
1 1/8" top tube?
1 1/4" down tube?
1 1/8" seat tube?
1 1/2" head tube to fit a... 1 1/8" fork steerer?
And why the mix of different tube brands?
1-1/4" top and seat tube
1-3/8" down tube
36mm head tube (for 1-1/8" steerer fork)

There isn't real clear reasoning for my tube selection....I had already built a similar frame using Columbus Zona down tube and chain stays and it turned out quite stiff. My plan for the new frame was to take a little weight out to see how it effects ride/stiffness. I substituted a lighter gauge Foco down tube and the ZeroUno chain stays which are lighter than their Zona counterparts. While I was at it I dug though my box of spares and found the Reynolds seat stays which were the lightest that I had on hand. I picked the True Temper seat tube because the lower butted section is long enough to extend up above where the front derailleur clamps which helps reduce chain rub (I think). That particular tube is actually a down tube which I had to ream out for the seat post to fit.

In the end the frame did turn out to have a smoother ride than the other frame. It's no noodle by any means but the ride difference is noticable to me. It also has more sway in the bottom bracket but not enough to be bothersome. Dispite the more flexable frame, I get less chain rub on the front derailleur because the newer frame has a new fangled integrated spindle crank/bottom bracket assembly (Dura Ace 10 speed). Those outboard bearings and large BB spindle really work!

Ed