View Single Post
Old 09-18-16, 07:51 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm being forced to retire from mass start racing. I had 2 concussions within 7 weeks this summer, the first a bike crash (my own fault/mechanical) the second a very minor car fender bender (other guy's fault). That last was 6 weeks ago and I'm still not recovered. I had at least 3 other concussions over the last 12 years, two of them quite serious.

The two doctors I saw are saying I am at risk for CTE and am now highly susceptible to re-injury, so little accidents (like my 5mph car accident) that would be a non-issue to other folks can now cause me to have another concussion. Docs strongly encouraged me to consider quitting racing because of the risk. Quitting riding would probably be smart too, but that's off the table.

My family wants me to quit racing. I feel like it doesn't make sense to continue, since what I'm risking - cognitive impairment, early dementia, inability to work and take care of myself - is so serious and life-altering. I could already be in that situation, but the more concussions one has, the more the risk.

I just bought a mountain bike, but I don't think it's safe to ride it. Mountain biking and little minor crashes go hand in hand. I cancelled my cross season. I quit riding the track, I was just getting started with that too.

I'm almost done deciding i'm quitting mass start racing. It's so painful I don't even want to say I decided... but i don't see another rational decision.

I'm devastated. Racing has been my focus for the last 5 years and I feel like I was just getting started. Apart from the competitive aspect, my teammates and the race scene has been really important to me socially, so that is also leaving a big gaping hole in my life.

I may continue with time trial racing, although it is my least successful and least favorite discipline, just to retain some connection to the racing community. I will probably race on Zwift, too.

I'm not sure if I'll go back to riding organized rides (centuries and bike tours) since the risk of some random person crashing me exists.

Anyway, I'm not looking for anyone to talk me in or out of anything. If anyone can share how they coped with this kind of unwelcome change, that might help.

Thanks for listening.