View Single Post
Old 09-18-16, 05:44 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
@valygrl your post got me to thinking way back to when I started racing & to my 1st coach.
He raced on the board tracks pre-WWII when Six Day racing was a way to make a living in the Depression years.
WWII happened and he served in the SW Pacific to return to a civilian life with the sport that employed him simply Gone.

Despite that he coached (with great results sans mine) and spent his off-time bringing up another generation or three with good solid technique and heart in the ABL of A & USCF..
He got up on the banking with all of his protégés to assess timing, technique and race smarts despite a Purple Heart, many years off the bike and being an "old man" to demonstrate how it's done properly. Done racing? Yep, still in the Sport? Indeed.

There are lots of useful ways to be actively involved in the sport that don't involve stuffing yourself inside a decreasing radius corner (my favorite/stupid move) .
There are always road Time Trials the Pursuit or the Kilo to race on the track if the solo events are within the scope of risk for you.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 09-19-16 at 06:48 AM.