View Single Post
Old 09-23-16, 02:16 PM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
There is usually a tradeoff between puncture resistance and ride quality, and you have to decide how much to compromise each parameter. There are recent breakthroughs where today's puncture resistance tire rides as well as yesterday's protection-less tire. These new tires cost extra, and I would recommend them. I would not use a tire that makes the ride worse just because of the protection, but I'm just one person. Some people will tolerate a horrible ride just because the protection is there.
I have run Specialized Nimbus and Hemisphere Armadillos. Lasted a long time, excellent flat protection, rode like bricks. About 10 years ago that I rolled these tires. A lot of other options out there with better ride quality, IMO.
I prefer 26 inch tires around 2.0 width.

I have had several sets of the Continental Travel Contacts in 700c. Most recent purchase was 26X2.0's. Very nice ride. Perform very well in nearly all conditions and most surfaces, except ice and deep mud. Flats are few and far between. Sidewall construction makes a difference with these tires.
continental bicycle Travel CONTACT

Friends and BF members rave about the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme. I would definitely roll these if I had the chance and need of new tires.
Marathon Supreme - Schwalbe Professional Bike Tires

Loved my Schwalbe Big Apples, RaceGuard. New Big Apple Plus has added puncture protection and still has supple sidewalls.
Big Apple Plus - Schwalbe Professional Bike Tires

Panaracer TServs and RibMo's are both nice tires with flat protection.
Ribmo PT ? Panaracer Bicycle Tires

All available in 26 inch size.

We have had two sets of the WTB Slickasaurus and they did not meet my expectations for flat protection. Neither did the Continental Town and Country tires. Both have nice ride quality, though...

Added:

Also, based on my experiences, much more likely to have glass flats in the rain. Harder to see and perhaps semi-consciously avoid the sparkle, compounded by glass sticking to wet tire and then getting rolled and drilled through the rubber. Big slicks seem even more likely to flat in the rain than tires with more tread.

Last edited by AusTexMurf; 09-23-16 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Added comment