View Single Post
Old 10-22-16, 06:25 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts

Measurements are as follows:
Chainstay: 44cm
Wheelbase: 103.5cm
Seat tube: 46.5
Effective top tube: 51cm

Thanks for the kind words. I finally unwrapped it yesterday, the first time seeing it unwrapoed since the first in that image leaning against the van. The frame and fork are in mint condition. A fitting reward for my troubles tracking one down, and then flying it back home, including negotiations on import duty with Customs.

I reckon it could fit you with a longer seatpost, longer stem and drop bars. The stem in the image is only 7cm. 11cm stem with 12cm reach drop bars would put the seatpost to bar hoods distance at 74cm. Still too short?

Originally Posted by chaadster
Really beautiful, but damn, saddle-to-bar reach is probably best measured in microns rather than millimeters! That thing is short short on the front end!

At my height of 6 feet and long inseam, I could not ride ride that, probably not even bolt upright with high-rise handlebars. Maybe if they steepened the HTA a couple of degrees...

It's really handsome, and as a Nano rider, I get your point about wheel location in relation to saddle; a bit more wheelbase would smooth the ride and reducing pitching over bumps, making for a more "normal" ride feel. Not that stubby/rear weight bias bikes aren't fun, they're just particular.

I guess that minivelo manufacturers, largely, are designing for the peculiarities of their key Asian markets (in terms of average height, physique, etc.) which is totally appropriate, but I can't help but think that if someone could bring a minivelo to the USA market which was fully targeted to and designed for that market, that it might have a good little run of sales.

I think Cannondale did alright with the Hooligan, but it was atypically designed and not clearly targeted. I believe BikesDirect did a ground-up design on the Nano, but aside from the aforementioned short wheelbase issue, spec'd materials and component choices which were odd (e.g. JIS threaded 1" headset) or just plain junky (e.g. stamped steel chainrings) and which really reduced the appeal to experienced and geeky cyclists, the crowd which needs to be captured to create a market base, IMO. That, or it needs to be deftly marketed to a "lifestyle" set, which we probably haven't had in a cycling sense bere until fairly recently.

I ramble, but anyway, that Bannard is beautiful.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 10-22-16 at 08:15 PM.