PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Cycling with Degenerative Disc Disorder

Does anyone else here ride with DDD?

I have recently been diagnosed, after a debilitating muscle tear/pinched nerve left me almost unable to walk and in excruciating pain for a few days. I was on the last 10kms of a 100km bike ride and I felt my back go out as I twisted slightly to check traffic behind me. My back really shouldn't have been affected by the movement, but two days later I was on my hands and knees getting out of bed, getting up the courage to stand and almost blacking out from pain (probably due to swelling irritating a nerve). It was a very sobering experience.

Anyway, I am off my bike for now. It's a Specialized AWOL, and my doctor has said I need to have a more upright posture, so I am going to get rid of the drop bars before I ride it again. Thankfully it has a long top tube and a short stem, so I am going to put Jones Loop Bars on the short stem with new shifters and brake levers for a more upright posture.

My doctor has recommended I ride a recumbent bike, as the posture is perfect for patients with lower back issues--my DDD is in the lower spine--but it is just not an option for now. All my money is in my AWOL and with a young family, I just can't afford to go out and buy a new recumbent. Maybe it will be an option in 4-5 years, but until then, I will ride my AWOL.

Does anyone have any tips for riding with DDD? Does riding ever cause flare ups of pain? Are there any measures other than altering the reach and drop of my bike that I can take? I have started a program of stretching every morning and I am cutting down on food to lose weight, so I am on the right track there, but I would really appreciate any advice or tips any of you have.