View Single Post
Old 11-03-16, 06:01 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick Imby
So I totally understand that gear inches is the true wheel size equalizer.

My swift came with a 11-32 8 speed and a 52 big ring and 406 wheels. As I understand it that gives me a top gear of about 90 gear inches. I do not need a higher gear on flat smooth pavement with this bike as I run out of power.

I have an old road bike I have not ridden in years but I am going to pace myself on an 6 mile paved bike trail that is fairly flat. I set up a course with Strava that has no interuptions from stop lights and only 125 feet of elevation change.

I am going to setup a course going the opposite way also to try to eliminate wind issues and to get more readings.

I was hoping someone else could give true numbers in a similar test. Over the next week I plan to run the course at least a couple of times on both my old 700c and my swift. I will post my results.
If you ride them both at 14mph average both ways, how much slower will the 20"er be? Or, which one will be faster?

Do you see what I'm getting at? I really don't think you're looking at this right; it's only a question of which wheel size is faster after you've controlled for a bunch of variables first. Do you have a power meter?