View Single Post
Old 11-12-16, 06:48 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by steve-in-kville
I always heard this term, but never really knew what it exactly meant until recently. I guess an example of living the dirtbag life would be living with the bare essentials so we can follow and/or afford our passions in life (i.e. rock climbers who live out of a van so they can be close to their sport). I can't help but wonder if all of us that live a car-free/lite lifestyle (by choice or otherwise) don't have a bit of the "dirtbag" mentality in us??

I know we've had threads over the years on how simply we live, what we could do without, etc. But I think dirtbaggin' it follows the same idea, but possibly has different end goals.

Discuss.
We probably do, because of the simplicity that it brings. Surfers are probably up there with the principle that you illustrate with the rock-climbers. They have generated their own lifestyle and image that has survived for 60 or 70 years.

What are the end-goals, though? In the end, we all face getting older and having to find a way to support ourselves at that end of our lives. Cycling will probably be an important part of mobility for me, but that will depend on where I am living, too.